Programs and Services for Faculty
Please email us to inquire about or arrange any of the following.
Curriculum, Planning, and Assessment of Learning:
CTLO consults with options/departments and divisions on:
- Curriculum changes, curriculum mapping, clarifying learning goals and outcomes, and assessing impacts.
- Sequencing of content and skill development across courses and years.
- Aspects of external reviews and disciplinary accreditation focusing on curriculum and educational impact.
We frequenlty work one-on-one or with small groups of faculty on a custom basis to identify their priorities and provide targeted resources, in a time-efficient way, for topics like:
- Course (re)-design
- Active learning strategies for use in class
- Assessments and assignments that promote learning
- Obtaining useful and relevant mid-quarter feedback from students
- Choosing and using instructional technologies
- Teaching massive open online courses (MOOCs)
- Grant proposals with educational components (e.g., NSF Broader Impacts)
- Synthesizing discipline-based educational research (DBER) findings to help inform faculty members' instructional decisions
- Offered annualy to faculty who are considering redesigning, re-engineering, or rethinking a class that they have previously taught, or who are starting from the ground up in designing a class they will teach in the upcoming year. Find out more.
Specialized TA Training within Courses and Options
At the request of faculty, we design and facilitate discipline- or course-specific workshops for teaching assistants on topics such as:
- Effective section teaching
- Effective grading
- Answering student questions
- Teaching mathematically complex material
- Practice teaching workshops
- Obtaining and using mid-quarter feedback
- Successful teaching for International TAs
- We are available to help arrange and co-sponsor Division or Option-specific workshops, forums, guest speakers, or seminars on teaching and learning in your field. See examples in our past events.
Please contact us with any and all additional questions and ideas!